Friday, April 18, 2008

Playing with WHISPER

"WSPR (pronounced "whisper") stands for "Weak Signal Propagation Reporter." This program implements transmitting and receiving for a digital soundcard mode called "MEPT_JT", an acronym for "Manned Experimental Propagation Tests, by K1JT". This is the initial release of a GUI-based version of the program."
With these words, Joe Taylor, this brilliant mind that honors our hobby being a ham himself, describes his tool for checking propagation by snooping very weak signals around the world. I installed it and played with it like a toy. It is really amazing to decode transmissions i HFof only 1 watt or so from thousands miles away. Among real DX stations I "heard", as you can see in the snagit snaps, it was Patrick, F6IRF. I did not really know that he was involved and it was a good surprise for me. It reminded me the bottles of beers we shared last year in Friedrichshafen fest.

So give a try to WHISPER! It deserves it and after all it has a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de VĂ­deo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.

Millwork Aurora said...

This was greatt to read