Thursday, May 27, 2010

An alternative TX ground for FT-897D

Just in case you need  a TX ground to operate your linear and the CAT/LIN connector is engaged in CAT position (Menu 020).

That was exactly my complain with this Yaesu transceiver! I prefer to use CAT commands to manage all transceiver operations from my computer especially when I operate the digital modes. No way to PTT the linear with such configuration. I had to use a foot switch to do that. Not so neat as I would like.  I read several proposals in the internet addressing this issue. None of them was satisfactory for me. So it took me a lot of time till find a solution.

ft897back

Finally the resolution, even not obvious, is quite cool and easy! In the back panel of the radio there is a female stereo 3.5mm jack called ACC (number 5 in the schematic). You can use this to have TX ground for your linear without sacrificing CAT! If you are interested just follow the procedure.

DSC00914

Open the top cover of the FT-897D and locate the jumper in the back right side (circled in the picture). By default this jumper is set in “TX REC” position. Change it to “TX GROUND” position, as sown on the board, and your work is done. Now instead the TX request feature, described in the operating manual (not very useful to me), you will have a nice independent PTT for your linear.

Finally you need to wire a male stereo jack as seen in the schematic.ft897jackPS. The same procedure is applied to FT-857D also. Many thanks to SV2JL and SV8YM they opened my eyes.

9 comments:

Atom Ant said...

Thanks for your posting.
That jumper had me wondering if it belonged to the tcxo/ref osc.

Now I've had my eyes opened. :-)

VE3RBA

Atom Ant said...

Thanks for your posting.
That jumper had me wondering if it belonged to the tcxo/ref osc.

Now I've had my eyes opened. :-)

VE3RBA

Atom Ant said...

Thanks for your posting.
That jumper had me wondering if it belonged to the tcxo/ref osc.

Now I've had my eyes opened. :-)

VE3RBA

Anonymous said...

Thank you so for posting this information! I just made this interface and it works great with my FT-897D and Acom 1011. GREAT!73 de PA3HHO (Pleun)

Anonymous said...

thank you,

for this post. it helped me a lot.

This must be a feature on newer ft-8X7 mainboards,
because it is not documented in older service manuals.

kr, 73 oe5afp

PD7MAA said...

TNX for this post. I use it to switch my X-Phase in TX .

73'de John PD7MAA

megabonus marcelo said...

Hy! I have a linear amplifier homemade by myself . This post resolv my problem of ptt tks John
73 de py1ry

Anonymous said...

many thanks for this modification. I did it on my 2 FT857 and it works fine. Since i have a tuner FC30 i must no longer switching cable when i need the PTT for my 2m Pa.
vy73 Marco, DD7PC

Unknown said...

Many thanks!